The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Frequent Days Off Makes The School Year Fly By

Classroom+calendar+indicating+school+breaks.+
Knight Times Staff
Classroom calendar indicating school breaks.

We kicked off 2024 by returning from winter break…and having more days off. We had two in January, there are several days off in February, a single day in March, a week off in April, and Memorial Day in May…then it’s summer break. 

On Jan. 15, one week after we returned from winter break, we celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. day. We started off the week recognizing the civil rights activist, and ended that week with a day off, allowing teachers time for staff development on Jan. 19. 

Just when we were getting back into the routine following winter break, we found ourselves off campus again. 

Aspen Owen enjoys the occasional break from the school routine. 

“I like being able to hang out with my friends outside of school and sleep in,” said Owen (‘27) when asked what she enjoys about the breaks. 

The district added Feb. 9 to the list of non-school days in order to meet payroll scheduling requirements for all employees. We have March 29 and April 8 off for the same reason. 

Lincoln’s Day is Feb. 12 – giving us a four-day weekend – and President’s Day is recognized on Feb. 19. If you’re keeping track, that’s three four-day school weeks in a row. 

Despite heading into an especially long weekend, Freshman Kaylee Baza has plans to work on a chemistry assignment that’s due when we return. 

“I have to finish it,” she said. She also thinks the numerous days off makes the school year go by fast. “It makes me kind of sad actually,” said Baza. “It feels like freshman year is almost over.”