The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Shadow Coach Leads Team To State For Second Time

Coach+DeTamble+and+2023+Girls+Cross+Country+team+celebrate+their+successful+season+on+Dec.+8%2C+2023.+
Coach DeTamble and 2023 Girls Cross Country team celebrate their successful season on Dec. 8, 2023.

When dedicated athletes are matched with a gifted coach, magic happens. 

High school athletes spend a lot of time practicing and training, so it’s not surprising that these students learn to rely on their coaches’ leadership. The role of coach carries a lot of responsibility and the way they guide their athletes can remain with those athletes long after their high school years. 

Strong coaches also propel dedicated athletes to greatness. 

Shadow Hills has no shortage of talented coaches; among them is Coach DeTamble, the head of cross country and track and field, who consistently challenges his athletes to face the finish line, and not look back. He also runs his program less like a group of teenagers, and more like a second family. 

“The team we have is like a family,” said runner Arianna Lupian (‘25).  “We are all so close and have so much fun together.”

Recently, under DeTamble’s coaching, the Shadow Hills Girls Cross Country team made it to state for the second consecutive year. The team finished 14th in division 3, and fifth among CIF southern section teams. 

The process of getting there was challenging. The runners trained six days a week, sometimes in extreme heat. Through the strenuous training regimen, mental and physical exhaustion was an issue. However, the ladies never gave up and knew their hard work would pay off. They were confident of this because Coach DeTamble constantly reminded them they were capable of reaching their goals, the runners collectively explained.  

“The commitment and dedication that our coach [has] for us helped me want to work harder and do my very best,” said Jaelyn McDermott (‘25). 

While Coach DeTamble has impacted the life of many athletes by teaching them good habits, he’s also become a father figure. 

“Coach DeTamble really is like a father figure to a lot of kids that he coaches,” said Julia Fernandez (‘25). Adding, “He connects with them.” 

Not only do the athletes on the team feel that way, but so does he.

“I don’t have daughters of my own,” Coach DeTamble shared. “But these girls are the next best thing.”