The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Girls Cross Country Team Heading Back To State

The+team+cools+down+following+the+race+on+Nov.+18.+
Knight Times Staff
The team cools down following the race on Nov. 18.

For the second year in a row the Shadow Hills Girls Cross Country team has qualified for state. 

Both the girls and boys teams – the former to race and the latter to support – along with coaching staff, left the valley before sunrise on Saturday for Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut. The runners weren’t entirely sure what to expect until they arrived at the junior college. Rain earlier in the week altered the planned track. In a press release the day before the race, CIF officials announced an alternative route. The runners had to run a flat track they hadn’t raced on before. 

“We train for everything,” said Coach DeTamble, following the team’s 6th place finish. “They got the job done,” he added. The ladies make up the only valley team heading to Fresno next weekend to compete in the state finals. 

In addition to their determination, the runners also recognize the importance of drawing strength from being united as a team. “We’re stronger together,” said Julia Fernandez (‘25). 

When asked about traveling to support the girls team, sophomore David Santibanez echoed the same sentiment. 

“We’re not just a team,” he said. “We’re a family.”