The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Staff Dominates Seniors in Turkey Bowl With 30-12 Win

Teachers+defeat+the+seniors+in+30-12+Turkey+Bowl+win.+
Jaime Dominguez-Gonzalez
Teachers defeat the seniors in 30-12 Turkey Bowl win.

Lunch was extended today for the Turkey Bowl, an annual matchup between staff and seniors. Several clubs and graduating classes took advantage of the opportunity to fundraise, selling food to spectators.  

The game started off strong with two four-yard passes to Coach Romo followed by a two-yard reception for the first down. Closing off this drive was a 45-yard touchdown pass to Mr. Perez. 

The seniors started off hot with their first pass being 60 yards. A six-yard pitch followed, leading to a 12-yard touchdown pass. 

The staff came back loud with an eight-yard toss to Coach Romo. Soon after, Coach DeTamble got a seven yard reception. A few plays later DeTamble ran up the right sideline for a 20-yard touchdown; 14 of those yards were after the catch. That put the score at 12-6, teachers. 

The seniors ran a five-yard rush followed by a quarterback scramble for a first down. A pass was thrown deep downfield and it was intercepted by Mr. Perez, and returned it for fifteen yards. 

Once the staff had the ball, Mr. Prado made a 10-yard reception for a first down. After this Mr. Mejorado caught a six-yard reception for a touchdown; the score at that point was 18-6. 

During the first play back for the seniors, their quarterback threw another pass directly to the defense, which was returned for no gain by Mr. Perez. A trick flea flicker which ended up in Coach Romo’s hands was returned for 15 yards. Coach Romo caught the ball and ran it five yards for a touchdown, lengthening the lead to 24-6. 

The seniors made a quick five-yard reception. Following this was an explosive 40-yard reception and was taken down by Mr. Perez. The seniors fumbled the ball but quickly recovered. A 34-yard touchdown reception was made, putting the score at 24-12. 

The teachers responded with a shocking 60-yard touchdown to Coach Romo, making the score 30-12. 

The seniors got flagged twice in a row for having too many players on the field. They rushed up for six yards then the seniors made a 13-yard reception. Mr. Prado was injured on the play. The seniors made one last pass attempt and it was incomplete. 

After the win, Mr. Perez was asked what he did in order to warm up for the game, and he stated, “Absolutely zero [training], I walked my dog last week for like two miles.” 

“It’s important for us to show them who’s boss. Maybe not in the classroom, but on the field,” he said of the seniors.