The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

History Students Use Art To Honor Veterans

Stayg Hadley
U.S. Marine Corps

Veterans Day is a day to recognize the men and women who have served our country. 

Last week, students spent the days leading up to the holiday recreating military emblems out of chalk. The artwork was dedicated to honoring Shadow Hills staff members who are Veterans. 

Mr. Duthaler, who organized the project, was a member of the U.S. Coast Guard. Coach Romo and Coach Davis were both U.S. Marines, and Mrs. Kent was in the U.S Navy. 

Mr. Duthaler assigned his students the task of recreating military emblems with chalk in the quad. He said his aim was to ensure that Knights recognize the importance of the holiday and the sacrifice of the members of the military. 

“Furthermore,” he said, “I wanted to enshrine in the students that this is not a one off event, rather this is a lifelong appreciation.” 

He also noted the added benefit of providing some guidance to students who may not be sure what they want to do after they graduate. “I think by introducing them to our armed services…and acknowledging Veterans Day…it might perhaps change a life,” he said. 

Ms. Kent, an educational interpreter in Mr. Duthaler’s first period class, was a Hospital Corpsman  in the U.S. Navy from 1977 – 1980. She said her service opened up opportunities she wouldn’t have experienced otherwise. 

“I do not regret it at all,” she said. “If I had to go back in time, I would definitely do it all over again.” Ms. Kent cites meeting her husband, riding in a helicopter, driving an ambulance, and delivering a baby as some of the most memorable experiences of her service. 

“I am deeply touched seeing the emblems as I walk around campus,” Ms. Kent said. 

Ultimately, Mr. Duthaler doesn’t want the holiday to pass without a thought, or without remembering the service of military members. As a Veteran, he understands the magnitude of enlisting in the Armed Forces. 

“I know it forever changed [my life] for the better,” he said.