The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Hispanic Heritage Month Celebrations Promote Rich Culture on Campus

Students+play+Loter%C3%ADa+in+the+quad+at+lunch+on+Sept.+21.+
Saniya Huerta
Students play Lotería in the quad at lunch on Sept. 21.

For many Knights, Hispanic Heritage Month – the worldwide celebration that takes place from September 15 – October 15 – represents legacy and culture.

Throughout the month people attend festivals, art shows, dances, and parties. A lot of people dress up in authentic Mexican clothing for this occasion.

Shadow Hills High School recognized the start of the history month with a lively lunchtime Lotería game in the quad. The game is similar to bingo, but uses vibrant images printed in grids on large sheets of paper. Student organizers also held a Grito challenge. The contest determines who can yell the longest and with the most pride, a way to honor the battle cry that began the Mexican Revolution in 1810. Different genres of Latin music were also heard throughout campus.

Spanish teacher, Señora Campbell hopes this is just the start of cultural celebrations on campus. She also recognizes the diversity of the Latin community at Shadow. About 80% of the school’s student population is Hispanic.

“Our population of Hispanics at our school is huge. We have different cultures,” Campbell pointed out.

Junior Ethan Cervantes hopes that the activities and celebrations go beyond Hispanic Heritage Month.

“I feel like we should learn some more history when it comes to Hispanics to help us understand more about our background,” he said.

Dr. Dunn agrees, noting the importance of celebrating the diverse cultures on campus.

“Wherever we came from, we need to be proud of that and share that excitement with others as well,” he said.

“We’re all unique, yet we’re all a part of this big Knight family.”