The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Seniors Celebrate Under Rising Sun

Members+of+the+class+of+2024+celebrate+as+the+sun+rises+over+campus.+
Michelle Willis
Members of the class of 2024 celebrate as the sun rises over campus.

As the sun rose over the Shadow Hills football field on August 31, many members of the class of 2024 gathered for a rite of passage: Senior Sunrise.

The annual event allows students the opportunity to kick off their last year of high school with long-time peers. This year, the turn out was amazing. More than half of the 445 seniors were in attendance.

As the day was breaking, students listened to speeches from teachers and peers.

“Dr. Dunn always knows a way with his words, but especially with the senior class, and Perez’s speech was bittersweet,” said Katya Sanchez. “It really hit me that we are seniors,” she added.

Laughter could be heard as groups of smiling friends filled the stands, reminiscing about their high school years. They had a lot to talk about. Unlike other graduating classes, this year’s seniors started their high school experience as freshmen, online.

Keilani Loyd had a great idea to capture the moment, “We took photos together,” she explained. “I brought three different cameras, and my friends also made a [cardboard] frame for all of us to take photos.”

Through adversity and determination, the class of ‘24 has formed a deep connection. It’s not surprising that after the celebration ended at the football field, the majority of seniors heading out, together, for breakfast.