The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

No Lifeguard, No Swimming

The+pool+is+closed+to+PE+students+in+the+absence+of+a+certified+lifeguard.+
Desteny Sanchez-Ruiz
The pool is closed to PE students in the absence of a certified lifeguard.

For the last several years, Shadow sophomores have been unable to swim during PE. This year would have been the first year since before the pandemic when students would have the opportunity to swim in the school pool. The Physical Education unit consisted of three days of swim each week, for three weeks.

Initially, plans to begin the swimming unit were confirmed. PE teacher, Coach Schuknecht, scheduled the lifeguard, completed the required paperwork, and everything was set! That was until the lifeguard didn’t show up on the first day of swimming. 

Without a lifeguard on duty, students can’t swim or get into the pool. “For the students’ safety we’re going to hold off on that for now,” explained Coach Schuknecht about the swimming unit. 

Many sophomores have mixed emotions about not being able to complete the course. Some are happy about it, while others are disappointed. Some sophomores were looking forward to cooling down in the pool instead of being on the hot tennis courts. Others were worried about their appearance being washed away by the water or about changing into swimsuits. 

“It’d be something new for PE and since we can’t do it, PE is more boring now,” said Deven Gonzalez (’26). “I was excited about it.”  

Sophomore Annie Cervantes had a different opinion. “I’m glad we don’t get to swim because I would have to redo my makeup, my hair would get messed up, and I’d have to bring a separate change of clothes,” Cervantes pointed out. “I just don’t have time for that in the morning after the second period.” 

Although swimming might have been a great opportunity for students, our Knights’ safety always comes first. Many students are hopeful that next year, a life guard will be available and swimming in PE will resume.