The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Recycled Fashion Trends

Lucy Perez (’24) Writes About The Ever-Popular Cardigan
Lucy Perez

When it comes to timeless pieces of clothing, no one can forget about the infamous cardigan. It’s often worn due to comfort and versatility, and popular with all groups. Gothic? Cardigans with skulls. Preppy? Cardigan with bright colors and v neck. Hippie? Cardigans with a loose fit and earth tones.

Considering all that, it’s no wonder the cardigan is so popular! Especially with pop stars like Ariana Grande making an iconic look with oversized cardigans, and Taylor Swift selling her own cardigan designs.

How did the cardigan come to existence? If you guessed war, you would be absolutely correct. Who would have ever thought such a comfortable piece of clothing was worn and made by a military general. 

The man behind the creation was Lieutenant General Brudenell, otherwise known as the Seventh Earl of Cardigan who led the famous Charge of the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava during the Crimean War in 1854. A very wealthy man, he spent around £10,000 ($12,600 USD) a year to provide these sweaters as a part of his regiment’s uniforms. 

A sweater meant for male soldiers was later turned into a staple of women’s fashion in the 1920s-1930s. Eventually, the sweaters were modified with wider necks and lower collars so hair wouldn’t get ruined trying to put the sweater on. These cardigans were then integrated into the school system with varsity sweaters. That’s right, before the athletes were wearing jackets, there were sweaters. 

Cardigans have existed for generations, yet new styles and ways of wearing them still develop to this day. An example of this is newly introduced trend of adding embroidery on cardigan sleeves.

How does this look on the campus of Shadow Hills High School?