The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Olivia Rodrigo Spills Her Guts at Acrisure Arena

Staff Reporter Reflects On Concert Experience
Olivia+Rodrigo+singing+on+a+moon+above+her+fans+at+Acrisure+Arena+in+Palm+Desert+on+Feb.+23.+
Savannah Vela
Olivia Rodrigo singing on a moon above her fans at Acrisure Arena in Palm Desert on Feb. 23.

Olivia Rodrigo opened her “GUTS World Touron Feb. 23 at Acrisure Arena in Palm Desert. She transcended the stage, both figuratively and literally. With opener Chappell Roan, Rodrigo created unforgettable memories for any concert-goer.

Despite what anyone says, Rodrigo’s first tour stop was Acrisure Area. Although not a Coachella Valley local, Rodrigo holds ties to the valley as a Temecula native. This made the concert even more intimate. Her presence speaks volumes about the impact the Acrisure Arena is having on the valley.

Chappell Roan opened the concert with vibrant genre-bending female anthems. She exceeded expectations and set the mood for the rest of the concert. Her music was truly made to  perform. Each song, including ballads, had a playful undertone, heightening anticipation for Rodrigo’s act to continue in its momentum.

Rodrigo started off her concert with an eerie performance video before she transitioned to her first song of the night, “bad idea right?” In her first couple songs, she embodied the classic rock star persona shedding the perfect good-girl Disney mold.  Rodrigo performed with infectious joy, showcasing her undeniable passion with every note. 

After a quick outfit change, Rodrigo played the piano for the next few songs. During “Teenage Dream,” she displayed her childhood photos in the background creating a gut-wrenching visual for every attendee. She later ditched the piano for none other than the moon. She used it as a prop to glide above fans while singing three songs, no fan was left ignored. Her performance cemented her tour as a testament to her exceeding pop-star status.

Although it might be easy to write off that Rodrigo has one sole demographic, that simply isn’t the case and her concert is evidence of that. The  “GUTS” album is the epitome of relatability and girlhood. Anyone with a soul can understand the bad romance, the crushing societal pressures, and the fear of growing up that her pop-rock anthems and tear-jerking ballads encapsulate. Her concert is no different. Her music makes an 11,000-filled arena feel like karaoke at your first sleepover, welcoming all to join.

“GUTS World Tour” is simply Rodrigo’s coming of age tale. She embraces that  confusing experience by creating one of the most universally relatable shows. Rodrigo’s reminder that amidst the chaos, there’s beauty in tomorrow lingers weeks after the concert. 

As Rodrigo herself puts it, “I think growing up isn’t so scary after all, and life just kind of gets better.”