The Student News Site of Shadow Hills High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

21 Savage Sets The Bar With “American Dream”

Following collaborations with Drake, Metro Boomin, and others, 21 Savage’s run continues with his first solo studio album since 2018. 

“American Dream” delves into his recent success as an artist, and the life he had to leave behind to get there. Features from Doja Cat, Brent Faiyaz, Travis Scott, and others help bolster the music into exactly what hip-hop needs going into 2024.

2023 was a rough year for mainstream rap, and many were wondering if the end was near for the genre’s success. This release not only gives hope that this isn’t the case, but ensured that the music itself could still pack a punch. 

The second track “all of me” sets the tone for the rest of the tracklist, as it utilizes a soulful sample and really flaunts the instrumental as the main piece. All the songs showcased in the album have catchy upbeat instrumentals – especially on the Metro Boomin-produced tracks – and really make this album an engaging listening experience front to back.

Features were also well picked and placed throughout the album. Summer Walker, Brent Faiyaz, and Travis Scott took over their respective tracks and added starpower. This also pokes holes in the album overall, as many of the solo songs without features are usually 21 rapping with the same flow, and when there are features, he ends up being reduced to a smaller roleplayer. This doesn’t exactly take away from the album as most of 21’s verses still manage to be good, but they fall short of being special or exceeding his limits.

One of the more notable moments on the album comes on the outro of the song “dark days” when he comments on his past crime life, and offers advice to the youth to “love themselves” and just “stay in school” even if it “might sound lame.” Trap (a subgenre of rap) is often condemned for glorifying crimes and being absent of complex lyrics, but 21 offers a different approach in this song, and reminds his audience that lives of crime hurt not only the people around them, but themselves. Moments of introspection are rarely seen in trap, so one of the most popular rappers of this generation empowering his fans elevates the album’s message and outlook as a whole.

The album is far from perfect, but it is still great listen that encapsulates the strengths of modern day hip-hop, which are not going away anytime soon.